Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Fresh Start!

I've enjoyed the summer outdoor worship season so much.  I love the trees, the flowers, the birds, and even the sounds of lawn mowers and airplanes.  I've enjoyed experimenting with new worship music and sharing our annual thanksgiving for the Blessing of Creation, at which we've shared worship with all of our pets.  It's hard to see the summer end so quickly.

But I am also energized by the arrival of crisp morning breezes and colorful leaves on the trees.  The summer worship crowds have been vibrant and happy, but I've continued to find myself missing every family that goes away for a summer vacation.  I occasionally feel like the pet dog left behind at home, while the rest of the family goes off on an adventure.   Maybe others in the congregation feel something similar.  Not angry or resentful, just a little saddened by the absence of those who are away for a few weeks.  Maybe even God shares such feelings.  In all events, it's fun to see everyone arriving home, rested and ready to begin the new school year--and a new fall season at church.

I love Rally Day, when all the Sunday School classes start up again, and when our worship services return to the main indoor Sanctuary.  There are so many kids and parents and teachers everywhere, that the whole building seems charged with new energy.  The old worship space seems especially beautiful and inviting, filled again with the sound of organ music and choirs.  And new faces in the choirs!  New helpers for technical matters!  Fresh repairs to the building!  New mission projects in the works!  The news of our summer service projects and the plans for all of our upcoming events fill me with confidence and hope.  Whatever my own flaws, God is really at work in this place, and I feel so blessed to be a part of it!


No comments:

Post a Comment