Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Slouching Toward Jerusalem

"They were on the road, going up to Jerusalem, and Jesus was walking ahead of them.  They were amazed, and those who followed were afraid."  Mark 10:32

Jesus had withdrawn far to the north with his disciples, to the territory of Tyre and Sidon, to avoid crowds.  There he taught his disciples intensively, repeatedly explaining to them what would happen and what would be expected of them.  As the time for the Passover festival approached, he judged them ready, and headed south, toward Jerusalem.

They knew the journey was coming, and yet they followed in fear.  I understand that.  There are places I don't want to go, and things I don't want to do, even though I know they are necessary.  I stall and drag my feet.  I look for excuses.

I want to follow Jesus.  I want to be a faithful disciple.  But I shrink in the face of real danger, and I know that real discipleship may involve danger.  Or at the very least, disapproval by people whose good opinions I crave.

But there is the road.  Jesus will not allow for straggling or indecision.  He calls, and then just heads out, leaving us amazed and not a little afraid of the implications.  Lord, help me, I want to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment